Saturday, February 3, 2007

Pass me the Sharpie, baby.

You know what? This Bible study I am in is pretty much poised to kick me out, I think. Therefore, I do not feel bad about breaking yet another of their many rules. The rule I am going to break is the one that tells me I am not supposed to talk about the contents of the study guide and I am not to divulge what the questions for group discussion are. Honestly! It's like being in "Fight Club". ("The first rule of Fight Club is, you do not talk about fight club. The second rule of fight club is, you DO NOT talk about fight club. Apparently, none of the rules of fight club were you have to be as hot as Brad Pitt to be in fight club...or else it would have been a one member club. He was so incredible looking in that movie that he wasn't even a real person. If you have questions about this analogy then you obviously haven't seen the movie. Go rent it. Brad Pitt never looked finer. Unfortunately, I think Angelina is bringing him down. He doesn't look as good as he did with Jennifer. Too much traveling, I'd guess. They need to start adopting locally.)
Anyway. As I was saying, members of my Bible Study aren't supposed to talk about what we talk about within the walls of the church. I don't really get that, but I have been fairly respectful of that rule so far just because I have been learning so much and I am generally not a huge rule breaker. For example, I am the "secretary" of our 15 woman discussion group. All I have to do is take 2 attendance sheets with every one's names on it and make a check-mark in the little box under the meeting date if they are there. Pretty easy stuff, right? Not for this group. I swear to you I am telling the truth when they held a special little meeting for all of us "secretaries" to make sure we knew what we were doing. We were told always to use the pencil provided with the sheets. We were told to lay one of the sheets outside the door to our room with the pencil on top of it so the sheet could be picked up by the "head honcho secretary". Then we were told that if someone came in late we needed to go outside, get the sheet and mark them present. Under no circumstances was the late-comer to mark herself present because (and I shit you not) she might do it wrong! Then they told us how to make the check marks!! No kidding. They are not to go outside of the box. Check marks only, no "X". At the end of all this ridiculousness, they asked if there were any questions. Get this---5 women raised their hands. Honest to God, they had questions. I started to laugh and left the room.
So, let me tell you about the question in my discussion guide that is going to get me kicked out of Bible study. We are talking about the book of Romans and how Paul was telling the Roman churches that the only way to eternal life at the right hand of God is through your faith in His Son, Jesus Christ. No matter how much you followed the laws (like sacrifices and circumcision, etc.), following the laws alone was not going to get you to heaven. Only faith in Jesus would. So then we surmised that this was targeted towards the Jews who were the sons of Abraham, i.e. the "chosen" ones. OK, so one of the questions in my study guide was something about the promises God made to the Jews in the Old Testament...but since the Jews as a whole rejected Jesus Christ did that mean that God's promises to Israel failed? So far, so good. I have no beef with that because the main point was that God did give Israel the Law and chose them to be the receivers of many advantages. But, God also gave them (and everyone else who believed) Jesus.
Right. I'm okay up to now, but the next question on my discussion sheet caused me to gasp audibly and start shaking with anger. Here is the question, word for word:

What is your attitude toward Jews, and how could you help more of them to become believers?

Wait a minute!! What is my attitude towards Jews? Are you talking to me, or to a drunk Mel Gibson? Who am I to have an attitude toward anyone? Did we not cover the material in Romans a few weeks ago that said that God is the only one with the right to judge anyone?? I was so pissed off! Then, the idiot women in my group started answering it. SERIOUSLY!! ("Well, I don't know any Jews myself, but I wish I did." "I have a Jewish sister-in-law and it just pains me when I see her." "If I knew any Jews, I would love to ask them what they DO believe in so I could introduce them to the truth of Christ.") I just sat there with my mouth gaping open and finally I said something like, "What the hell kind of question is this? What does this mean...my attitude towards Jews? Are we supposed to have an "attitude" towards people?"
All these women started looking at me like I was a leper. Not just a leper, but one with Tourette's who was saying, "Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck..." over and over. If I had said that I think I would have gotten the same reaction. They TOTALLY turned on me and told me it was my duty to preach to Jews. It was my calling! I was turning my back on God's word! Yadda, yadda, yadda.
I just sat there silent the rest of the time, glaring at everyone. They just pity me, which makes me even madder because they are too stupid to see why that question was offensive! I don't want to be pitied by stupid people!!
In any case, next week I am going to put "X"s on the attendance sheets. In pen. It's just a matter of time before they kick me out.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is so true that truth is stranget than fiction! This reminds me of a time recently that someone made a comment in passing that I did not take attendance right at Sunday School. I was in disbelief - I still don't know what the heck they were talking about! I cannot believe these women at your bible study (I don't think they should kick you out - although you are probably right, your days are numbered) you seem to be knocking some sense into them. I love that you speak your mind. It amazes me what people say/do in the name of being a Christian. Please tell me where you take this so I can avoid it in the future!

alan said...

I am not sure why my first response did not post, maybe it was deleted by the powers that be. Probably for the best. And you wonder why I have an air of superiority? I am one of the "chosen" I mean really, these women make me fear for our civilization. Why don't they get with the Mormons and go to the Jewish cemetaries are perform a few post mortem baptisims? Maybe then graduate to some Inquisition type activities. What the Hell, maybe burn some Jews at the stake-a la Joan Of Ark, or drown them to see if they are witches. I would like an opportunity to guest speak to this study group. Can you arrange that? Or maybe just forward my response if you have not been kicked out for your radical, progressive thinking.

The T-Dude said...

And people wonder why people of different faiths have a hard time getting along.

I'm surprised you didn't completely lose it.

Maybe you should take Alan along...

the divine Miss M. said...

Come on, admit it, you will be so relieved to be kicked out by these self-rightous holy rollers. (although I know how much you like a good fight) They seem to have misread scripture to think that they can lecture people into the kingdom of heaven (instead of love them into it). Nothing like being judgemental and offensive to win people over to your point of view.

bubbles said...

Having worked with you at church for the last few months, I must agree with these women regarding your need for training in the area of taking attendance! You suck at taking attendance; you never do it! Every week the Sunday School leader comes in your room and asks for your attendance sheet, and every week you say "damn, I forgot to take attendance again". Then your very responsible daughter does it and covers your ass. However, these women clearly don't understand Jesus' ways regarding treating, loving and forgiving people. Be the better Christian and keep telling them off!

Anonymous said...

Soap,
I think these people are stupid. They will not grow into becoming people that you want them to become because they don't want to change. I believe I would rather have a Starbucks and a good magazine than to waste my time with these unforgiving, want to be Christians. I would use a red marker and totally put hearts everywhere on the attendence sheet. People have too much time on their hands if they have that much time to tell people how to do something so simple as take attendance. How about working at a sou kitchen, walking your neighbors dog, getting a frickin life that is more forgiving and has more of a Christian type attitude. Do they realize that Jesus was a Jew...or did they just choose to disregard this fact because it did not fit into their neat little, unforgiving lives!!!Chrisitans, my ass!!!! I have no time for these useless holier that art thou people....I would rather read O.

Unknown said...

Wow. what wonderful hypocrisy and craziness! So I have another story for you. I think I mentioned to you the christers that came to my door one day and, like voyeurs, were watching me through my front window for a few minutes playing with my son before they knocked. Just a little creepy. And they never did knock, I just saw them there - they may have been watching me a loooong time. I am glad I wasn't picking my nose or something. Anyway, I digress. I told them that they were wasting their (my) time seeing as I am an atheist (collective gasp/recoil - save the son!). I then asked them if, given enough time and discussion, there would be any chance that I could talk them out of believing in god/christ. I thought that I made an excellent point but you know how it is with the righteous - it didn't exactly sink in. By the way, I am wearing black again today. :)

Anonymous said...

GET OUT NOW! BEFORE THEY SEND YOU TO A CAMP OR SOMETHING TO FIX YOU! HOLY CRAP - WHY DO YOU GO? IT MUST BE B/C THESE WOMEN AMUSE YOU - FORGET THE RELIGIOUS PART - IT IS LIKE A COMEDY...

JOIN PILATES OR SOMETHING - YOGA IS SPIRITUAL ISN'T IT?

:) LL