Saturday, January 20, 2007

Globes

I know that a lot of my friends were expecting me to write something about the Golden Globes on Tuesday. Well, the Golden Globes were kind of boring this year. The only categories that I could even begin to make an educated guess about had to include either "Grey's Anatomy" as a nominee or involve animation in some way. Everything else...well, I didn't really care about. The funniest part was when Prince won for some song from the movie "Happy Feet" and then, unexpectedly, wasn't there to receive it. Justin Timberlake was presenting it (he's really cute now, and dresses great, but look back on his old N'Sync days. ARF!!) and then he announced Prince as the winner. Well, there was some awkward looking around and the camera just stayed on Justin because, apparently, Prince was supposed to be there. Well, he wasn't. So Justin bends his knees so he appears a foot shorter and looks up at the microphone and says something like, "On behalf of Prince I would like to thank you for this award."
It was wicked funny. I wonder if he will get any backlash for that. I doubt he and Prince are friends, so it really looked like he was making fun of him. I laughed, but I don't know if Prince did.
Anyway, my point in mentioning this is...where was Prince? Well, I read that he was stuck in traffic.
Now, I'm thinking that, if I were Prince and I was actually nominated for a Golden Globe I might plan to leave a little early for the ceremony. It's not like he's going to get nominated every year like Susan Lucci and the daytime drama awards (although I think they're about the same size). The last time Prince was nominated for a Golden Globe (and I'm guessing here) was for Purple Rain, if at all. So, if you are Prince...wouldn't you make sure you were there on time for crying out loud? He was at the ceremony later I know because they showed him at one point. Now, again...if you are Prince and you already missed the part where you won the stupid award...wouldn't you just skip the rest of the ceremony and start hitting the party circuit? You know, just send Morris Day or someone to pick up your statue and pony up to the open bar at the In Style party or whatever??
The other memorable moment was when Tom Hanks was presenting Warren Beatty with the Lifetime Achievement Award or whatever it is called. He was doing a fine job of it (constantly repeating how WB had gotten the Most Promising Newcomer Award in 1962...which of course means that WB is really old...)until he brought up the fact that Warren used to sleep with everyone with a pulse. Then he asked for a show of hands in the audience of who had actually slept with Warren. At this point, the camera lands on Warren and his lovely wife, Annette Benning. Man, did she look PISSED!! I don't think she thought it was as funny as everyone else did. Then, just to rub salt in the wound, when they showed this big montage of movie moments in Warren's career the song playing was "Sooner or Later" by Madonna who was Warren's girlfriend right before Annette. I doubt Warren got lucky on Golden Globe night!
Which leads me to my point...who writes those speeches? I always thought that Tom Hanks looked like a pretty nice guy as well as a smart guy. (I remember the year he was interviewed by Barbara Walters on the eve of the Oscars. Tom was nominated for Philadelphia or something and had won the year before for Forrest Gump...or vice versa. But anyway, Barbara said, "Well, you're up against 5 other men who also gave compelling performances. So, Tom. What do you think your chances are?" and Tom replied, "Uh...one in six." Hilarious.) I feel a little disappointed in Tom for having not realized that part of his speech wasn't wholly appropriate. It would be one thing if he were talking about Jack Nicholson because he isn't married and his 25 year old date probably wouldn't care. But WB was sitting next to his WIFE. I just felt bad for her.
Other than those 2 things, I was fairly bored with the Globes. No drunken outbursts like Reese Witherspoon's husband (now ex) did last year. (I can't even think of his name. He is SOOO yesterday!) Nobody giving their award to someone else like that one guy did when he tried to give his to Jack Lemmon or something. Nothing. Boring.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about Kathrine Heigl threatening to kick that guys ass for calling Knight, her co-star a faggot? That was pretty good.

alan said...

I am disapointed to say that I did not watch it, and have nothing to say...

Anonymous said...

How about Sacha Baron Cohen's speech? And what is with that name, anyway.

Carolyn said...

I'm with you on that weird name. I always thought Sacha was a stripper name (meant for girls only). In any case, his speech was hilarious...the highlight of the show. There's nothing funnier than a man talking about almost getting smothered by another man's ass, and then winning an award for it! The irony!