Monday, August 27, 2007

A family story





Isn't that a beautiful picture of my daughters and my parents? It was taken 2 Easters ago. Why they are all crammed on that little velvet love seat, I'll never know. But, here is the point.


My Dad has Alzheimer's. Not only is it really, really sad...it just totally sucks. My kids don't know the intelligent man who helped raise me. (I say "helped" raise me, because, let's face it...I raised myself.) Over the past few months his decline has gained incredible momentum. I find that he can't even complete a sentence anymore. Well, he can...but it is always something like, "Your mom is in the trees," or "I was going in the bag." (Actually, now that I think about it, the second sentence does make sense. He has a colostomy and so if he is "going" so to speak, he is doing it in a bag!)


Anyway...I do the Alzheimer's walk every year in Chicago. It is to raise money for the Alzheimer's association. But, you all know me well enough to know that I don't do it for completely altruistic reasons. I do it for the t-shirt.


No, I do it because I am surrounded by people who all have loved ones who are dying of this terrible disease. They have t-shirts with pictures of their loved ones emblazoned on their chests. They gather in groups to talk about their mom, dad, gramma, aunt.... Everywhere you look someone is looking at your shirt to see if you are walking "In Honor of" someone or (sadly) "In Memory of". We are all the same in our longing to do something to help because we can't fix our loved one. Honestly, the whole experience gives me a whole new appreciation of AA. It must be comforting for a drunk to be surrounded by others who are struggling too. Plus, afterward you've got a whole group of people who really, really want to go out for a cocktail.


Here is the link to my donation page:


http://chicagomemorywalk.kintera.org/faf/r.asp?t=4&i=224903&u=224903-47598405&e=1224718198


Feel free to visit and just read the story I wrote. Even better; pony up some cash and support me. Better yet, pray for me and my family. (But pony up some cash too.) Last year I surpassed my lofty goal...and the best part was, no less than three of my ex-boyfriends pledged more than my husband did, which made him look like a total chump. But, he did get the girl so I guess he got the last laugh, didn't he? In any case, my husband is far from a total chump, as you can see from the picture. Last year he and the girls came on the 5K with me and he had to carry Bronte on his shoulders the whole way. Tony rocks!

I wish this picture was bigger so you could really see how freakin' great my hair looked. My shirt says "Supporting my Dad, Bob Geddis" which my oldest, dearest friend had made for me the year I did the walk the first time. Plus, look at how cute my damn kids are! We are like the All American Family, except for Tony's tie-died shirt which makes him look like a stoned Dead fan who wandered on the beach and scored a photo op with some normal people.

So, go to my Donation Page. Please.

14 comments:

Jim said...

I swear Carolyn, you look like your 26 in that picture.

Tony, thank god Queer Eye For The Straight Guy isn't still on, I'd have them over there in a heartbeat to take of that tie-die shirt.

Oh, and I see someone is discovering how to add pictures to her blog!

The T-Dude said...

Hey now...I like that shirt. And if anyone ever hits me with there car while I'm wearing that shirt, I know I can sue'em. The "I just didn't see him" defence will be completely out the window!

The T-Dude said...

Oops..."their"

Anonymous said...

I opened my email today and I had 2 new emails - one from you about the walk and one from my cousin whose mom also has Alzheimer's. We saw them this weekend and my aunt is going downhill quickly. My aunt lives with my cousin and her family and it is getting harder and harder. Anyway, thanks for the great blog and good luck with the walk!

Anonymous said...

And Tony, another oops - it's "defense".

Rachel V. Olivier said...

Bookmarking it now. Gramma had Alzheimer's. Hang in there with your dad.

The T-Dude said...

Vicki W.

It's both actually. While it was a typo, I looked it up and it appears that spelling it with a "c" is an acceptable, although chiefly British, variant.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/defence

Better learning through poor typing skills!

alan said...

Why do you keep doing that to your (once) beautiful hair? The irony is that not having hair any longer has been one of the best things to happen to me. Though, I stand by my double standard.

Anonymous said...

Carolyn, thanks for doing the walk. I'll be seeing my Dad this weekend for the first time in a month. I am really looking forward to it though I'm not sure what he'll be like. I am also looking forward to some Whitey's.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the spelling lesson Tony - I didn't know you were so British. Go have a Guinness and some figgy pudding and don't forget your hat for high tea.

Carolyn said...

Alan, Alan, Alan...when did you become such a bitch? It's my hair and I will cut it if I want to. I would say something about how lovely your hair used to be, but I don't remember a time when it was anything but barely there, so...

By the way, I guess if you click on the picture it gets bigger. all sorts of things work that way...all they need is the slightest encouragement and they get bigger.

Oh! And, by the way Alan, you still haven't donated to the Walk. What the hell?

John--love you! You're my favorite ex-boyfriend EVER!

Jim--I wish you could do a Queer Eye on my darling Tony. If "What Not to Wear" went through his closet he would have to walk around naked. No kidding. Even the socks would have to go.

Jim said...

It's called an intervention. Hide the Amy Winehouse records (I said RECORDS! That makes me OLD!) and tell Tony how his fashion doesn't just hurt him, it hurts us all.

You're other two choices are to do what my mother did when she caught my father wearing a plaid shirt with plaid pants, she threw out all his plaid pants. When I confronted her that the first problem was that he actually HAD PLAID PANTS, her defense was "It was the 70's."

Or you can do what I did to my brother this weekend when I caught him wearing plaid shorts and a plaid shirt. I mocked him. I took his picture. And I told him I would post it on the internet if he didn't go change. He got the hint.

Unknown said...

I like Tony's tshirt! I am a fan of tie dye. In fact, I have three like that for Nikolas and he often requests to wear the tie dye. Good boy. Don't go through my wardrobe. It is sad and pathetic and I am pregnant - I might get violent.

And Carolyn, as cute as you look in that haircut isn't that the one that I requested from Laura in 1985 that you gave me EXTREME shit for? And wasn't that was the same haircutting event where I was introduced to mousse and you had me convinced that it would turn my hair pink? And Laura, the professional, was too busy laughing to make me feel any better. good times.....

Anonymous said...

"John--love you! You're my favorite ex-boyfriend EVER!"

(sigh)I know...It's good to be the king. I'll accept the crown and run with it.