Thursday, May 22, 2008

Here you go, Al




My friend Alan, who comments on this blog occasionally, asked in the comments on my last blog why there weren't any college pictures in my last post. Well, I found a few that I would like to share. First let me tell you a little about my friend Alan. I dated him for a while in college. I met him through our mutual friend Laura. She and Alan had an art class together and she thought he was really cute but she had a boyfriend at the time. One day she decided that since she couldn't date him I should date him instead. Because she was my very best friend I told her I would, even though I knew he totally wouldn't be my type. She likes big muscly guys and I like men skinny and wiry. She likes big noses and, well...seriously. Who likes big noses? That's just weird. She likes hairy chests and I like no superfluous body hair. I liked really, really smart guys and...well, let's just say that her idea of smart and my idea of smart are completely different. For example...one of the guys I dated in college bought me a gift for no reason whatsoever once. It was a book called The Unbearable Lightness of Being. (That book was also made into a movie starring a young and very sexy Daniel Day-Lewis and a young and very sexy Lena Olin. There's tons of "meaningful and imperative to the story line" sex in the movie so I highly recommend it. Take a look at this picture:

I am pretty sure they get naked right after this. She keeps the hat on. It's hot. Plus, the movie itself is really about a lot more than just gorgeous people doing it. It is set in Czechoslovakia during the Soviet invasion in 1968. Besides just being gorgeous, the characters in this movie are very intelligent and they discuss political issues. It's just a really well done movie based on a fabulous book...and there's nudity. Who could ask for anything more?)

So, anyway, this boy gives me this book and tells me that it is the most beautiful love story ever written and it made him cry. Now, you have to understand that this is no "romance novel"; it is a wonderful book that really studies the characters of the three protagonists and the complicated way that love effects everything you do. I'm telling you, it was a very cool gift. This guy was well-read and bright and SMART. Laura's idea of a SMART guy was someone who went to classes on a regular basis and had maybe read a book at some point. Now, before I sound like a complete bitch, let me point something out: Laura's boyfriends were not dumb. We just valued different kinds of "smartie-ness". I married someone that I think is one of the smartest people I've ever met. Laura married someone that I don't think is particularly smart. I live in a little house that was built 40 years ago and is falling apart. She lives in a ginormous brand new house that sparkles. Hmmm... (As a brief aside, I wouldn't trade Tony for the biggest house Ty Pennington could build. At the end of the day, I have a spouse that I can really talk to and that's better than 5 bedrooms, 3 full baths, a three car garage and granite counter tops.)

So, I had very little hope for this meeting with Alan. All I knew for sure was that he was Jewish. Okay...at this point in my life I hadn't really dated anyone "ethnic" and I figured that Jewish counted as "ethnic" so I was willing to give it a shot. Plus, he was the president of his fraternity...so he couldn't be a total loser. Here is a photo of Alan in the front yard of my parents house:

Al was (and is) a very bright man, but he was totally high maintenance. Maybe it's a Jewish thing. He also had a greater appreciation for the finer things in life than I do. He could tell a real Rolex from a knock-off at 50 feet. The first thing he said when he drove through my parent's neighborhood was, "Do you have to own either a Cadillac or a Mustang to live here?"
On the other hand, he liked the funniest stuff. He totally had a thing for Barry Manilow. We went and saw him in concert once. It was hilarious. We were BY FAR the youngest people there. There were bus loads of polyester-clad middle aged women pulling into the parking lot with sheets hanging out the windows proclaiming "We Love You Barry!!" I guess they didn't get the memo saying Barry is GAY!!! He also had a theory about globes. You see, he owned a globe. I had never met anyone who wasn't a history teacher who actually owned a globe. Al told me that every Jewish boy gets a globe at his bar mitzvah. I don't know if that's a Jewish thing or an Al thing but I never forgot it. It also made me really, really, really want a globe. I got one right before they changed the names of whole bunch of little countries and the globe company sent me stickers to correct my globe.

Here is another picture. This one is of Al and me at his fraternity formal. Notice how my arm is bent at a funny angle? It looks like I am channeling Stephen Hawking. That's because Alan was squeezing me so tight that I couldn't move. He did that all the time. I think he did that just to prove that he was in charge. I'm surprised I didn't dislocate something during one of our photo ops. It never bothered me though; I thought it was funny. Still do. Later that same evening we looked like this: I loved that dress, but I was completely bummed about my shoes. Alan and I are about the same height, so I had to wear flat shoes. Seriously, it totally pissed me off. That's why I could have never married him. The shoes make the outfit, and to be limited for the rest of my life??? No fucking way. In any case, my hair looks so awful! I can't believe I ever wore my hair like this. On the other hand, Alan probably loves this picture because he actually HAS hair in it. Now, he has none.
In the end, he dumped me. I knew it was coming and I probably should have just broken up with him because we were both so over each other, but I could tell he was just so nervous about the actual dumping that I hung on for a few weeks to see what would happen. As it turns out, Alan took me to dinner and he was so nervous he couldn't even eat. I, on the other hand, was starving. So our entrees came, I ate mine, he dumped me and I asked, "Are you gonna eat that?" and then I proceeded to eat his dinner too.
As it turns out, we became friends and that was even better.
So--there you go, Alan. I DO have some pictures from college.

18 comments:

alan said...

I consider myself fortunate to have been the chosen one to help round out your Liberal Arts experience. You should have worn the heels, height has never been an issue for me. And I may be the only straight man who likes Barry Manilow. My wife and I met him at a taping of some ABC network Christmas special in Aspen with the "Bachelor" and some other network celebrities.He was completly freaked out, he kept asking if he looked OK. Dumping you was the biggest mistake of life, some day I will get over it.

Anonymous said...

What shoes do you wear when you are with Tony?!?

Kit said...

Love the pics. In college I dated a guy who was 6'9" tall. Heels were no issue, and no, he didn't play basketball, he was kinda lame. His nickname was goon. However, he was in a fraternity, so I oould go to his formal and mine. I had to stand on a chair to kiss him (being 5'3"). I had great shoes for that formal. Then I dated a guy who was 5'2. Big shoe issue. I don't talk to either of them, so...I guess, you are lucky to keep Al as a friend.
Marrying a best friend that you can really talk to is cool. I'm lucky enough to have one of those too! -kit

Carolyn said...

Al...I just knew that no one would be able to measure up to me. I set the bar extra high.
Phil...I can wear any kind of shoes I want when I am with Tony. He is the perfect height.
Kit...isn't it funny how we can remember what shoes we wore with any given outfit? I'm all about shoes.

Anonymous said...

Carolyn, 'twas I who gave you the Unbearable lightness of being, n'est pas?

Anonymous said...

...and please, tell me I didn't say it made me cry! The razor is at my wrists as I write this.

Carolyn said...

John, 'twas thee.
It was one of the best gifts ever and I will never, ever forget it.

Carolyn said...

And you did say it made you cry, you big pussy.

Anonymous said...

Greatest love story...EVER?!? Please, like I said, the razor awaits... OH, and the only billing I get is "boy"?! Are there papers somewhere that I have to sign for you to actually use my real name?

Carolyn said...

John, since you just hinted that I can use your real name, I am going to write about you next. You wouldn't BELIEVE the photo I found of you!

Anonymous said...

I'll be sure to tune in.

Jim said...

Wow, this has now officially turned into either classmates.com or Facebook. Who will find you next? I hope it's not Laura's husband. Who are we kidding, he probably can't read let alone figure out a computer.

So for everyone who thinks you look like you are 26, I guess now we know what "your 26" looked like. And it was a little Kathleen Turner from "Romancing The Stone" or "Body Heat" before she got kinda' fat.

And Alan, as for that photo at the mailbox, you are seriously working the Preppy Handbook to death right there. I think I had that outfit except you have to remember in Preppy there is no such thing as a "short sleeve dress shirt".

Oh yeah baby, I'm back!

TheHMC said...

I'm SO loving all of these pictures. When is Tony going to get in on the action? Do we get to see what he looked like 'back in the day'?

Oh, and Alan? My husband totally loves Barry Manilow. He's determined that when he eventually gets me out to Vegas(can you believe that I've still never been there?) that we're going to see Manilow. I have to be honest that the "big show" that I always wanted to see was Sigfreid and Roy and that won't happen for me now. I'm fine enough with being hubbys gambling whore for the time we're out there(since I don't gamble either... wow.. I've become really boring over the years).

Carolyn.. I love reading your blog and love reading the comments from your readers too. Good stuff, Maynard.

Oh.. and P.S. I used to have some weird thing for guys shorter than me when I was younger. There was one guy that I was madly in lust with and he was about 4 inches shorter than me(I'm 5'9") and it was always kind of weird on the occasions that we were out with each other and I'd stupidly decided to wear yet another pair of chunky platform sandals. Including my .. are you ready for it? You sure..?
My Jelly Platform sandals. Even better? I had, like, 4 pair of them. (It was the 90's.. that's my excuse.. since I really have no other really good excuse for purchasing them-let alone actually wearing them in public.)

I'm sure you'll all make fun of me for that(I've tried to block them from my memory but I just can't), but go easy on me.

Jim said...

thehmc - show us pictures!!!

Rachel V. Olivier said...

I so love that dress on you, Carolyn! And the hair is nice, as well. Remember, that was the style of the times and it was tres in.

The other pics are cool, too, but I can see why you really dug the dress.

Anonymous said...

Not related to the blog but...

Let's do the math on the Paul McCartney-Heather Mills divorce.

After 5 years of marriage, he paid her $49 million.

Assuming he banged her every night during their 5 year relationship (and married men all know THAT doesn't happen), it ends up costing him $26,849 per lay - not counting attorney's fees and court costs.

On the other hand, Elliot Spitzer's call girl, Kristen, charges $4,000 an hour. Crazy right?

But...stay with me on this.

Had Paul McCartney employed Kristen for 5 years, he would've paid $7.3 million for an hour of sex every night for 5 years (a savings of $41+ million).

Value-added benefits are: a 22-year old hot babe, no begging, no coaxing, never a headache, wide open menu, ability to put BOTH legs around you, no bitching and complaining or weekend "honey-do" lists. Best of all, she leaves when you're done, and then comes back the next day, ready for another round; all at 1/7th the cost, with no legal fees.

Is it just me, or is it better to rent?

Becky said...

My hubby is shorter than me, but it's worth it! Most people hardly notice that he's shorter because of the way he holds himself. I still wear heels if I feel the need, but we hardly ever go to an event where I have to dress up.

TheHMC said...

Since I've been bugged lately about posting again, I'm doing it to you too. Neglect the kids with me. I want more Carolyn funnies.