Wednesday, November 28, 2007

This Charming Man



I adore Kevin Spacey. I think he's a really great actor. American Beauty is one of my all-time favorite movies. When he is masturbating in the shower and his voice over says, "This will be the highlight of my day," I feel his frustration and anger and sadness all at once. He was fabulous in se7en; scared the crap out of me. Even his voice work in "A Bug's Life" was brilliant. He has made some really crappy movies too...KPax anyone? It was an interesting premise, so I can see why he might have thought, "Well, this could be really interesting," but it was utter crap. And how about "Pay It Forward"? I read the book recently (A friend lent it to me. In her defense, she did warn me it wasn't the greatest book, but I wasted a good 2 hours reading the crappy thing. I will never get those 2 hours back.) and I am telling you it was horrible and stupid. By the end of the book you were hoping for some gratuitous violence or something, which did happen. The little boy, who was the main character (who thought that if someone did something nice for you then you should go out and do something nice for someone else...not rocket science. Churches have been saying that for years...but in the fictional world of this retarded book, this kid's idea revolutionized the world. Give me a break; in the real world that simplistic idea wouldn't even get the kid on Oprah, and she loves that kind of shit.) anyway...where was I? Oh, the little boy gets shot and killed at the end of the book. Even though I feel slightly guilty saying this, I was kind-of like, "Yippee! That kid was a pain in my ass!" It was a fictional character, give me a break.
Anyway, I have to assume Kevin Spacey read the stupid book before he made the movie. Now I have always assumed Kevin was a bright man, but if he really thought the book would translate into a fabulous movie, then I now assume he is a moron. Plus, the character he plays in the stupid movie (which also stars Helen Hunt, as you can see from the picture. She bugs me. Her idea of acting is putting on a "serious face" and squinching up her eyes. Barf!) is a black man in the book. Not that the color of a man's skin makes any difference as far as their acting ability or whatever, but in the book the fact that he was black was pretty important to the story line. Without that little distinction his character is even lamer! How did Kevin figure he could overcome that little hurdle?
However, this is not even my point (can you believe I have a point?) about Kevin Spacey. My point is that I pretty much respect him as an actor. Let me remind you again of his brilliant work in "American Beauty" and "L.A. Confidential" or even "A Time To Kill"!! Okay. This Christmas you can see him in "Fred Claus".What the...?!?! Even the trailers (which are supposed to show the best parts of any given movie) are bad. Didn't anyone ever tell Kevin NEVER to be in a movie starring frickin' SANTA? That just reeks of stupid-career-move. The man has 2 Oscars, for crying out loud, and now he is in a movie with SANTA? And just look at the lame "I'm the serious actor in a Christmas movie" glasses he is wearing in the photo. I am so disappointed.I hope he got paid well, because I have read some of the reviews of this movie and, well...let's just say, it's no "Elf".

11 comments:

Jim said...

Helen Hunt is a stick with tits.

There I said it. I'm probably sorry I said it even. But in minute I will hit "post" and it will be over. I won't be able to take it back.

Carolyn said...

Jim, I couldn't agree with you more...but I think you're being generous by listing "tits" as one of her attributes. Maybe with an uber-push-up bra...

Jim said...

Hideous celebrity sighting:

It's the night before the Emmy awards. Helen Hunt is not only nominated for her work in "Mad About You" (and will win in less than 24 hours), but she is also sitting across the aisle from me at the cheap seats ($3.50) theater watching "South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut."

And I keep trying to see if she is laughing while Terrence and Phillip sing "Uncle Fucker."

Rachel V. Olivier said...

Bet his agent or someone got nervous cuz he hasn't been "out there" in a while and wanted him to be on something, "anything Kevin! Your public is forgetting you!" OR someone has incriminating pictures of him in bed with someone and he's gotta pay the blackmailers.....

It is disappointing when actors you like take on diminishing roles.

Anonymous said...

So with this Helen Hunt thing...would that make her Tits-on-a-stick? Can I get that down at the supermarket? 'Cause I cold use some....

As for Kevin, he's one of my favorite actors. American Beauty? One of about 20 movies I would put in my top 5 of all-time.

Anonymous said...

I love Kevin Spacey too. Loved him in The Usual Suspects and that one with Julianne Moore. Can't remember the name - something about the sea. I saw him once several years ago at O'Hare. It was when he was in that Project Greenlight movie (the Ben Affleck and Matt Damon project where they had a contest for amateur screenwriters and made a real movie with the winner) - I can't remember the name - maybe Dave will comment and he will remember the name. Anyway, I went up to him and he was kind of a jerk, even though I was the only who apparently recognized him in the entire airport. Whatever. He is a good actor. And, I cried at the end of Pay it Forward. I hadn't read the book first - I really didn't expect that ending. Hated the ending.

Anonymous said...

That explains why he was a jerk - it was Kevin Pollack and you called him Kevin Spacey!

Stolen Summer was the film http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0286162

And it was soon after 9/11 and he was getting frisked at the UAL gate and you were snapping photos, he saw that as a front page in the Star Magazine in his head, combined with calling him that other Kevin, and ta dah. . . jerk.

I miss project greenlight.

Carolyn - nice job getting that little visitor girl a part as an angel, the photos on Shutterbug of her smiling are quite nice. Made her Christmas from what I heard.

Carolyn said...

Dave...thanks for the shout-out about the angel-kid. I thought she had Down's, but it turned out she was autistic. It was worth it just to see the look on her grandmother's face when I told her granddaughter that I thought she would be a great angel. Made the whole Bethlehem Marketplace experience complete for me!

Carolyn said...

Oh!! Vicki, I think it's hilarious that you screwed up the Kevins at the airport. That's a great punch-line...plus I'm glad that Kevin Spacey isn't really a prick. And I can't believe you cried at the end of Pay It Forward. Did you cry because the kid got shot instead of Helen Hunt? That is sort-of sad.

Anonymous said...

Okay, it has been a few years but I am sure at the time I knew which Kevin he was. Pretty sure. Really sure. We had been watching the whole Project Greenlight documentary at the time, so I know I knew he ws Kevin Pollack, not Spacey. That really would have been cool if I'd seen Kevin Spacey. Probably would have been alot more people around that Kevin.

Becky said...

Kevin Spacey is pretty awesome! I even watched k-pax just b/c he was in it, that was one bad movie.