Friday, July 4, 2008

Carolyn RULES!!!

I just made a lovely 4th of July trifle. It has pound cake and strawberries and blueberries and bananas and a whipped cream cheesecake filling. It is just beautiful and I told Tony to tell me how it tastes when we finally get around to eating it. The reason Tony has to tell me how it tastes is because I won't actually be eating any of it. No, it's not because I don't want the calories or because I am allergic to any of the ingredients. It's because I can't stand wet cake. Cake should be dry, not soggy. When I was a kid I never had ice cream and cake at birthday parties because the lazy moms who served ice cream and cake always put them both on the same plate. What the fuck? Ice cream and cake should NEVER, EVER touch. That's just disgusting. If you can't serve the ice cream in a separate dish then just don't bother. I don't like cakes with filling, I don't like cakes with fancy sauces, I don't like cakes with jelly and don't even get me started on the bastard ice-cream cakes. So, today when Tony told me that my trifle looked pretty and I responded with, "You'll have to tell me how it tastes," and then went on to explain my cake guidelines he said, "You need to write all this down."
So, here it goes...Carolyn's Rules (and not just on food either)
No Cooked Fruit:
I love fruit. I eat fruit every single day. However, I do not eat cooked fruit. I hate fruit pies. I hate fruit cobblers. I hate sweet and sour anything because it has hot pineapple in it. Mushy, hot cooked fruit makes me gag. I particularly loathe cooked raisins. I loathe uncooked raisins too, for that matter. Why would I want to eat a petrified grape? Sick.
There are two exceptions to the "cooked fruit" rule. The first is pineapple and Canadian bacon pizza. I love that. The second is blueberry muffins. Blueberry muffins are my absolute favorite muffins ever. I also like banana bread, but that doesn't count in the "cooked fruit" category because there aren't any big chunks of mushy cooked banana in banana bread. It's all mashed up and is not discernible as "cooked fruit". Don't tell me this doesn't make any sense because I don't give a shit what you think makes sense. These are MY rules.
No White Shoes:
The only white shoes that I find acceptable are manufactured by Nike. Other than that, white shoes are ugly and I hate them. Even my wedding shoes were off-white. Go ahead and send me pictures of all your fabulous white shoes...I hate them already.
No Grilled Food:
I don't understand the fascination with grilling. First of all, when you grill food you have to do it outside. Why would I want to cook outside? That's where all the nature is...and I don't want any nature in my food. To top it all off, you put some perfectly good meat on a grill that is filthy and you expect me to EAT IT? No fucking way. I can't stand the taste of grilled food either. You see those lines on a grilled burger?
That's all the dirt and grease and salmonella left behind by previously grilled food. Why would I want to eat that? I don't even like fake grilled food, like "flame broiled" burgers from Burger King. Those taste gross too.
I Always Drive:
Tony doesn't even pretend to want to drive whenever we go anywhere. It's not worth the grief. I am a terrible, terrible rider. I always tell Tony he's going too slow, or that he should put on the windshield wipers/lights/radio, etc. I roll my eyes and shake my head and ask things like, "What are you doing??!" Strangely enough, though, I HATE it when people tell me how to drive. Last night we were coming home from a baseball game and I slammed on the brakes at a yellow light. Tony abhors it when I do that and he loudly yelled, "Jesus!" and made a very tense mad face. I immediately turned on him. "What's your problem? Would you rather I RAN the light?" He wisely refused to take the bait and an argument was averted, but it still pissed me off.
I Have Refrigeration Issues:
I keep a cooler in the back of my car in the summer. That way, when I go grocery shopping I can put the refrigerated stuff in it for transport. Never mind that I live 5 minutes from the grocery store; that stuff could easily go bad in 5 minutes. I'm not taking that chance. When I was a kid I almost died from eating improperly refrigerated egg salad. Well, not exactly...my mother made egg salad from hard boiled eggs that had not been refrigerated for 3 days. You see, we went to New Jersey for Easter to visit my mom's family and dyed eggs while we were there. when we left, my mother packed a few in her suitcase and we drove back to Illinois, stopping for the night somewhere halfway. When we got back, my mom unpacked the Easter eggs and made egg salad and fed it to me and our next door neighbor for lunch. By 2 o'clock we were throwing up blood. Seriously.
So, don't be shocked if you are eating dinner at my house and half-way through the meal I start putting food in the fridge. I can guarantee you that no food at my house will ever cause you to puke blood. I may grab the salad dressing out of your hands the second you are done putting it on your salad so I can put it back in the fridge and I might urge you to drink your milk before it loses it's chill and therefore would need to be disposed of...but you will never get sick from lack of proper refrigeration. That's a promise.
Containers Are Important:
Pop should only be drunk out of a plastic glass. (Unless it's fountain pop and then it comes in paper)
Milk and water should be in a glass glass.
I hate the lids on "to go" coffee and always throw them away. I refuse to drink coffee with a damn lid on it. I will keep the lid on in the car for transport, but I take it off to drink it.
Speaking of coffee, it should never be served in a transparent glass mug. It doesn't even taste right in a glass mug. When I order a coffee and Bailey's in a restaurant, I always tell them I want it in a regular coffee cup. If I forget and they give it to me in a glass mug, I send it back and tell them to put it in a regular coffee cup.

Other Things I believe:
If you don't know the words, don't sing.
Don't read over my shoulder.
Colored mascara is stupid.
Magazines should always be stacked, never fanned out; it's too hard to get them properly spaced when they are fanned out and it doesn't look right.
Cut flowers are pretty, but they are a waste of money; skip the flowers and give me ten bucks instead.
Sleeping naked is wrong.
Don't pick your nose while you are driving...I can still see you. What makes you think you can't be seen?
Your Christmas tree should be taken down before New Year's Eve.
All women look better with make-up.
All plates should have separate compartments for different foods so that they never touch.

18 comments:

alan said...

I wont eat anything soggy. that means no milk on cereal. I like the taste, hate the texture.Fresh fruit good, cooked fruit only in pie, cobblers are cheating. Bananas in smoothies and Banana Bread, makes me vomit to think of eating them fresh. No Banana peels lying around, sick.
I grill year round, I could care less if it is raining or 20 below out. I have succumbed to gas and have installed a natural gas hook up for my grill. We will be grilling steak and veggies and whatever else I can get on the god damned thing tonight. just like last night and the night before etc.
You can drive, be my guest. Some people were born to drive, some born to be driven. I fall into the latter. My wife and I argue as to who will get stuck driving.
I can't remember ever wearing anything to sleep post college. And only wore long underwear at Iowa because my room was about 20 degrees at night.
Christmas trees should come down by 12:01 am december 26th. My neighbors toss them from thier decks as fast as they can. It is almost a competition. It takes my wife a bit longers to box the ornaments, so I have 3rd place finnish as a personal best. Looking forward to improving this year.

Anonymous said...

Well at the beginning I was thinking you were just a cake and fruit hater, but then as the blog went on, I realized: You're a total freak!
I like that in a person. I do. Personally, I'm a recently created germaphobe, inducted into germaphobia via children scratching insect bites and requiring me to take out a bank loan to pay their medical bills because of it. So you keep refrigerating your food and I will support the purrel and clorox bleach companies and...life will go on. And no one will get sick. Ever. Again.
:-)

Anonymous said...

Well, when you write it down, it doesn't seem like that long of a list. Lets see, I'm sure there are more. Like, coffee must always have half and half not milk or you just won't drink it. I can't think of what else this early in the morning, but this list just looks too short.....-kit

Jim said...

Tony just wants you to post this so his tie-die shirts suddenly look normal in comparison. I mean, here I was thinking your fear of flying was odd... From here on out, all shall approach with caution:

I detest bananas. I cant’ stand to be near them in the grocery store. I will throw up if I smell them. So I can’t have any trifle.

What with my banana issue, who am I to judge? In the spirit of Carolyn’s blog, I will anyway.

You are so kind as to make food you won’t eat. Lyle makes me tiramisu. He doesn’t’ like it but will sometimes taste it. He also makes me pumpkin pie which he won’t even taste. You wouldn’t be able to go into a room with my grandmother’s Jell-O poke cake.

No Cooked Fruit:
I’m not a fruit lover (shut up, my husband is not fruity. Not completely). But one way I do love fruit is when it is cooked. How sad to be missing out on pie. PIE! Are you certain you are American enough to remain in this country? See you like CANADIAN bacon with pineapple. SO you are a communist. I really don’t get this one. It took me many years to get over the whole funky pineapple on pizza thing to where I can no tolerate it, and there you go avoiding PIE(!) yet eating that stuff.

No White Shoes:
Being from the frozen North of Seattle originally I have strictly adhered to no white shoes (between Labor Day and Memorial Day), now white belt (ever. Unless you are from Cleveland), no white leather (because you can’t wear leather between Memorial Day and Labor day, and that’s the only time you can wear white) rules... Until 3 years ago. That is when I blew off the doors to the barn and decided I was in charge of me and not the rest of the world. Oh wait, I am also in charge of the rest of the world... I now own a white leather jacket that is HOT. I own a white belt (rarely wear it though), and as for white shoes, well, I am still on the fence. But only because I don’t think flip-flops are shoes. I own white flip flops. I wear them almost every day. I have a flip flop tan line. To make you comfortable I will share that they have a small Brazilian flag on them and a green/yellow/blue strip in the sole so they are not completely white.

No Grilled Food:
I am as “un-outdoorsy” as you can get. I think nature is that small space between Valet parking and the mall. But grilled food? Oh. My. God. Lyle is the king of grilling and we own our own outdoor smoker. Lady, you come here. We make food. You likey. Oh wait, you can’t get on a plane... Also Lyle is a freak about food contamination (more later) and he will eat grilled food so you know you will survive.

I Always Drive:
I want a chauffer. I love to be driven. As long as they go fast.

I Have Refrigeration Issues:
This is a place that regression therapy and hypnotherapy could be a real help for you. Since the husband is now taking professional cooking classes he is learning the “wait time” that food can go un-refrigerated. He is surprised by how much longer it is than he thought before. Also he was surprised to learn that you should not put food away in the fridge too soon after cooking. That it can lower the temperature of the other food and make for trouble in your entire fridge. He used to have a freaky thing about leftovers. He wouldn’t eat anything more than a two days later. I had to explain to him the magic of Tupperware® and now I can trick him into eating something a week old.

Containers Are Important:
It’s time to give up soda. Water is your friend. Soda is bad for you. No plastic glasses anywhere unless they are reusable and for around the pool. One it’s tacky to drink of plastic and drinking from glass now, I have to say that the most fascinating coffee I have ever seen was in Shanghai in a tempered glass mug and you could watch the layers of milk/foam/java swirl and mix inside. Btw, how much better does that coffee and baileys taste with that little extra spit added after you send it back?


Other Things I believe:
If you don't know the words, don't sing - I will agree and add, if I paid money to be here to here the original artist, unless that’s you, shut up.
Don't read over my shoulder – especially the newspaper.
Colored mascara is stupid – brown is ok.
Magazines should always be stacked, never fanned out – why are you displaying magazines at all? They should be out of sight.
Cut flowers are pretty, but they are a waste of money; skip the flowers and give me ten bucks instead – I am not a whore. I want flowers AND ten bucks.
Sleeping naked is wrong – but feels so right... Is this because you have children in the house?
Don't pick your nose while you are driving – If you need to pick your nose you need to be in a room with no windows so no one will see you at all.
Your Christmas tree should be taken down before New Year's Eve – can’t get down with this one. We keep ours up until Epiphany which is the Russian Orthodox Christmas (you know those 12 days of Christmas? They start the day AFTER Christmas and take you all the way to Epiphany). This is a tradition from the hubby’s family and since I put so much work into the décor and the tree cost SO MUCH MONEY here I am keeping that fucker up as long as possible. (Gone by January 7th or you are a total freak keeping it way in your house way too long.)
All women look better with make-up – only if applied correctly. Seriously. APPLY CORRECTLY.
All plates should have separate compartments for different foods so that they never touch – I used to be you. Then I met a waiter at a Chinese food restaurant in San Francisco when I was 12 and he kept heaping my food in the center of the plate no matter what the food was. It was a food tower. I ate it and didn’t die. I’m not a huge fan of food cross contamination, but I do know I will survive. As God is my witness, I WILL SURVIVE!

Carolyn said...

Honestly, I only write a blog so that I can read Jim's comments. They always make my day...
Alan-you always were bizarre, so nothing you could ever say would surprise me. Remember, you have such a sense of privilege that you call Billy Joel "Bill Joel" on your cassette tapes.
Authormom--if only we could start our own freak cult, then we could eat at other people's houses without fear.
Kit-this is only the start of the list. There are so many more that are just so ingrained in me that I don't even think about it any more.
Jim--I KNOW you must have some freaky rules, so I am glad you started out with the banana thing or else your comments surely would have been the proverbial pot calling the kettle black. Tell Lyle that I am with him on the pumpkin pie thing...consistancy is disgusting. Also, I would never call Lyle a fruit, even though i am a commie.
Maybe I will get on a plane and come to your BBQ. Then I could face two fears at once! Serve up some coffe (sans spit, please) in a glass mug and there's three with one stone!
brown doesn't count as colored mascara. I should know, I used to be a make-up artist before I was a mom.
As far as make-up goes, I have given many a make-up application lesson to my friends. Ask Kit about the purple eyeshadow... I like nothing better than telling people they're doing it wrong. Take my word for it; I apply my make-up correctly.
Love you, Jim!!

alan said...

Just because I fundamently think that I am better than everyone else, does not mean that I have an absolute sense of priviledge.
Fly here for Christmas, we will grill Christmas dinner and dump the tree at midnight. This way you can face multiple fears all at once. I am a clean freak and have always appreciated your sense of order and cleanliness. My wife is a champion of cross contamination, and thus, is not allowed in the Kitchen/food prep areas.
All beverages should only be consumed from glass, or in the case of hot liqueds, ceramic or tempered glass. White shoes are never really that appropriate.

Jim said...

You are so popular that everyone wants you to fly to visit them. Or you only have friends who don't actually see you face to face.

Which is it?

the divine Miss M. said...

Well, I knew several of these rules, but have to admit I always got the pop in plastic and water in a glass thing mixed up. Huh .. didn't know about the cooked fruit thing ... guess I'll quit dropping apple pies at your house or just give them to Tony and the kids. We love all your quirks ... you wouldn't be Carolyn without them! Oh, and the only time my makeup is applied right is when you do it, so I only look good for special occasions and shows and such when you take pity on me and insist on doing my makeup.

Carolyn said...

Jim,
I am popular, of course. How could you possible think otherwise?

Anonymous said...

I have been waiting for this blog entry - I thought it would be longer too, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I have many of the same rules, but some days I just don't feel like putting on makeup. Like today, I just wanted to skip it, but since I will be seeing you at CMAT later, I guess I will put it on.... Vicki W.

Jim said...

How could I think otherwise?

I am evil.

I am a smartass.

Because I can.

Rachel V. Olivier said...

Okay, I accept the challenge! I will do a Rachel's Rules! Ha ha!

I get the no white shoes thing. I hate white shoes, especially glaringly brand new white shoes. I remember getting white tennis shoes as a kid and the first thing I'd do was go out and scuff them up. Too many memories of men at church who wore white patent leather shoes with a belt to match for my taste.

Okay, now, to accept the challenge...

Rachel V. Olivier said...

Okay, here are my rules!
http://ludoetvexo.blogspot.com/
2008/07/rachels-rules.html

Okay you guys, what are your rules! Carolyn has issued her challenge!

Anonymous said...

Wow, so many hangups, so little time! Are you sure you're not O.C.D?

Its no use defending Christmas trees or grilling.

TheHMC said...

Finally! I've been waiting for a new Carolyn post!

I'm with authormom. I'm a complete germophobe. Strange, too, considering the amount of rugrats running around my house. Germophobia and children don't exactly go together- but don't tell that to the Purell, Sanitizing spray, and Clorox travel pack that go everywhere with me in my bag.

I love grilled food, but can't grill worth a damn. Never have been able too. And what do you mean that grills are dirty? Most people use those brush-thingies that have been hanging on the side of the grill for who knows how long, out in the elements, wind, dirt, most likely harboring some spider eggs. Totally clean dude.
(Imagine my horror a couple of years ago when hubby mentioned that there was a wasp nest in our grill that he roasted before he started cooking-and ran from when they started flying out of said grill once their little wasp asses were starting to burn. I refused to eat my food because I didn't want to be eating smoked wasp guts.)

The egg salad story! I've been waiting to hear that one since you mentioned it awhile back. All I can say is.. yuck. And..Holy shit. How long did it take to recover from that(physically, I mean, not mentally ;))?

I, personally, can't stand ice cream WITH cake. It's gross together. Ice cream cake from DQ I like, but no others. Other places tend to put cake in the ice cream cake, which-to normal people unlike myself-would seem appropriate seeing that it's "cake" and all, but no. Cookie crumbles are fine, but no actual cake in the ice cream cake.

I WISH hubby would let me drive. I got to drive us home from the gathering we'd been at on Friday night, but that's only because my dad insisted on making Steelo a gigantic ass glass of Crown and 7-Up. Um...yeeeah. Immediately my kids were in the back going "Mom? Why are you driving? You never drive when dad's with us. Dad? Are you DRUNK???!"
I'm so glad we had that alcohol talk with them awhile back. Now they think daddy's a fucking lush.

How about this rule. If you're tone deaf, don't sing around other people. It's just upsetting. My mother does this. I love her. A lot. But I really wish she wouldn't sing along to songs. Especially ones with higher notes, because she sounds REALLY bad when she tries for the high notes.

And screw NYE as a deadline for the tree's. That bitch is down and back in its box the day AFTER Christmas in this house(I won't go there in reference to real trees and fake trees). I can't stand having it out and in my way and continuously having to get after little hands that won't leave the God damned choo-choo train ornament ALONE!

Add this one though...people that leave their Christmas lights up on the outside of their house year round should be put in jail. I mean, really. Driving by someones house and seeing their ugly icicle lights still hanging over their garage in April is upsetting. But driving by that same house in August and seeing that the lights are STILL there, is positively maddening. I know it's hard to get them up there and it's a huge pain in the ass. But if you normally don't like to take them down once they're up, then don't put them up in the first place. Please. Save me the stroke, I beg you.

Becky said...

I wholeheartedly agree with you about cakes and how they should be served. I have never eaten wet cake, ice cream cake, or any cake with jelly on it, yuck!

The T-Dude said...

Post about the concert!

Anonymous said...

порнуха скачать бесплатно видео
посмотреть порно хорошие картинки
фильм после секса
саске трахает сакуру
секс общение березники