Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Smite me, oh mighty smiter


I know that I have said this before, but today it bears repeating...the problem with organized religion is that it is organized by people. You know why this is a problem? Because people aren't perfect. I know that may come as a shock to those of you who think you're perfect, but we just aren't. Ordinarily this lack of perfection isn't a problem, but for some reason the people who are involved in organized religion are held to a higher standard. I mean, we rarely blink at hypocrisy when it happens within the confines of politics because we expect it. Heck, we don't even really look for examples of hypocrisy in politics because it is so prevalent that it has become the norm. But, those folks who are involved in a church of any kind...well, they are crucified (that just seemed like an appropriate word) when they do anything wrong. Here is the truly shitty part...the first person to throw the proverbial stone is usually someone from within. In other words (and this is hypothetical because we all know that I am above reproach) if I were to, say, mention on my blog that something was happening in my church and this blog was read by one of my friends who is a church member. Now, let's say that this friend mentioned this thing happening in our church to another church member who wanted to know how she got this information. And then, let's pretend that my friend says that she read it on my blog. OK, are you with me so far?
Now, I would never post anything on my blog that I felt was privileged information. But, I do vent a bit about situations. Whatever. It's my blog and I'll vent if I want to.
Back to the hypothetical situation...let's pretend that the church member who finds out that I have a blog and that I posted information about our church on it decides that she doesn't think that is appropriate. Keep in mind that this woman hypothetically knows me and is friendly with me--has been to my house, served on committees with me, etc. So, do you think she would suggest that maybe I might want to not post that kind of stuff on my blog and that she might call me or something and ask me about it? Gosh. What a great idea...go right to the source and nip the old problem right in the bud. But, odds are this person would rather stir up trouble for me and decide I should be reported to the higher-ups in the church. And you know what the really funny part is? I might not have even done anything wrong! Luckily my friend who had actually READ my blog said she wouldn't do that to me and that she would talk to me first. (I mean, that is what she would have done if this were a real situation and not a hypothetical one...)
I have furthermore decided that the reason churches have parking lots is so that people can stand around in them after church functions and gossip and bitch about church stuff. I can't tell you the number of times I have stood, shivering in the church parking lot listening (and, yes, joining in) while someone tells me what the church is doing wrong. The problem with a lot of these people is that they are like people who bitch about the government but don't vote. If you want things to change you need to be proactive! In the church changing things isn't someone else's job...it's YOUR job. The church is the people! The poor, misguided, less-than-perfect people.
Have you ever heard of Euodia and Syntyche? They are mentioned in the Bible, once. Paul writes about them in the book of Philippians. (For those of you who don't know, Philippians is a letter that Paul wrote to the church in Philippi. He wrote to them to thank them for a gift they sent him while he was in prison in Rome. As a matter of fact, Paul wrote this from prison.) Paul mentions these two women because they are members (so to speak) of the church in Philippi who are fighting. Now, how out of control was this fight that Paul would have heard about it when he was in PRISON??! Paul's point was this: Why are the members of the church fighting amongst themselves? Don't we Christians come up against enough opposition? Can't we find enough OTHER people to fight with---do we have to fight within the church too?

All I know is, if I write something on my blog that is my opinion--that's all it is. My opinion. I did rethink that blog entry which said some critical things about some of the past leaders in the church...but not because I thought I was leaking secret information about something happening in my church but because I was casting that first stone!! I am not and have not ever been perfect and I am critical and bitchy and lots of other not so flattering things. However, I do try not to be mean spirited. So, down came the post, even though it was really, really funny.

In the end, God is the one who will have the final judgement on me, right? So...if you don't like what I write on my blog, don't read it. I am flawed, the church is flawed, my blog is flawed and you are flawed. However, I am also reasonable.

Are you?

6 comments:

The T-Dude said...

All I know is, most blogs only go to ten...this one goes to eleven!

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more. It drives me crazy when people: a) complain instead of trying to find a solution to the problem, b) whine to others instead of going to the source, c) are overly sensitive and get offended at something that was not intended to offend them, d) do not consider the intention behind someone's actions and e) aren't grateful for what people do for them/their kids.
Especially at church, I am shocked sometimes by what I hear from people - did they forget where they are??!! Let's work things out - we aren't always going to agree, but let's be considerate of each other's views. I once said to somebody (when we were discussing something that was causing controversy within the church) that I was surprised this was happening and she said something along the lines of "my experience is that church is a place where lots of this stuff goes on". I guess I was naive back then, but I wish people would just get a clue sometimes! Let's remember the big picture and why we come to church in the first place. Thanks, Carolyn, I feel better now that I have vented.

alan said...

I don't believe that "reasonable" is an adjective that has ever been associated with me. Hmmm, I guess I've missed the point of this post.
I am shocked, nay, astounded that these people would have nothing but care and compassion toward one another. At least I can say that I have made it this far in life, and not been tainted by cynicism. At least I have that going for me.

Unknown said...

I am guilty of crucifying churchy people. Quite frankly, you could call it a hobby. When a woman tried to squeeze me out of my place exiting a movie theatre parking lot (you know how you go, one after another, when two lanes merge? she opted to block me) and I saw the jesus fish on her car I interupted the stream of invectives that we were exchanging (SUCH a mouth on that jesus fish!) and asked her what jesus would do.. heh heh. She stopped trying to ram my car after that.

I am sorry to hear that you have been getting shit for your blog. What a bummer.

Bubbles said...

Glad your "hypothetical" situation had an uneventful conclusion and that your "hypothetical" friend was true to her word!

Anonymous said...

youre-boring-me.blogspot.com; You saved my day again.